Friday, October 18, 2019

From MSN Live Messenger to Facebook, so, what's next?



It was the year 2006, no one could imagine a world without MSN Live Messenger, and Skype was barely started to get recognition by that time, some people thought chatting using Live Messenger would be something permanent, something that had come to stay for decades, all my friends had a Messenger account, if someone did not use it then he was a weirdo, and getting the e-mail of the girl you liked so that you could add her represented an amazing challenge, on one occasion I looked for the name of a girl in one of those emails with hundreds of recipients (and I found it).


Opening a conversation at that time was not like today on Facebook, now it is easier, others can see your photos and Facebook shows them if you have “friends in common”, but back then people could only see our “nickname” and a small profile picture.



If the picture was attractive that was enough for many to start a conversation with someone unknown, and thus began "friendships" that lasted months and months, talking every day.


When Facebook appeared I refused to open my account for a long time, I wanted to continue using Messenger, the problem was that many of my friends were now using Facebook and had forgotten their Messenger accounts which forced me open my own account at "The Social Network", and it was a good change since it implemented lots of photos, posting thoughts, activities, locations and more things instead of a simple nickname that lasted weeks to be changed, also the possibility of adding new people without having to investigate their e-mails.

When I least expected it; I had stopped using Messenger.

Other people consider that Twitter takes the trophy, not for me, especially this 2019 I've seen it going down, haven't you? I also use Twitter but my most rewarding experience has been with Facebook, thanks to it I found friends from my Elementary School, friends that had moved out of town, and the best! Facebook came with his own Messenger!



After a while I heard that MSN Messenger ceased to exist, that happened in 2013


My question now is, will the same thing happen to Facebook? Will there ever come a new tool that makes us all forget about Facebook?



No comments:

Post a Comment